Tips on how keep your meal moderate in calories, fat, and sugars:
- The first tip to remember is that whatever and wherever you’re eating, you don’t need to clear your plate. Instead, eat slowly and stop when you are full and have the leftovers packed to take away (lunch for the following day?)
- Ask for salad dressing to be served “on the side” so you can add only as much as you want
- Order foods that do not have creamy sauces or gravies
- Choose fruits for dessert most often
- Remember, if you can’t tell from the menu how a dish is cooked, you can always ask.
- Say no to bread or other nibbles before your meal arrives, as these are likely to increase your overall calorie intake.
- Order lean meats such as chicken, fish (not fried) instead of pies, bacon and sausages
- Tomato and vegetable sauces instead of ones based on cream and cheese
- Rice that is steamed or boiled instead of fried (such as pilau rice and egg fried rice)
- Potatoes that are baked or boiled without added salt, butter or oil instead of chips or creamy mashed potatoes
- Fruit salads or other fruit-based desserts and lower-fat, lower-sugar yoghurts instead of cakes, chocolate or creamy puddings, biscuits, sweets and ice cream
- Vegetables and salads served plain, and not served with butter, oily dressings or mayonnaise
A great selection of vegetarian food is available as breakfasts, lunches and dinners to eat in or take out. The Iydea is great value quality food fast! They offer a large selection of freshly prepared hot and cold meals served in seconds, juices, smoothies and desserts. All their food is freshly made from natural raw ingredients and is truly delicious. And although this restaurant is vegetarian, yes meat-eaters – you can get a very nice meal here too! Iydea also offers gluten free and vegan options.
Foodilic prides itself on serving high-quality, nutritious and delicious produce for the best value for money. With the health theme in mind, Foodilic serves a range of salads, organic salads, raw salads and hot vegetarian dishes – making it ideal for vegetarians and vegans alike. Nevertheless, Foodilic also has a selection of hot and cold meat dishes for those looking for that option. Foodilic is also famous for its freshly made pastries with a range of sweet and savoury fillings.
For more information about Food and Nutrition join us for a FREE Nutrition Workshop! Sign up today – limited places available!