We all need a healthy heart to live a long and active life. But what does the heart actually do for the body? The role of the heart is to pump oxygen-rich blood to every living cell in the body. In order to achieve its goal, it must continuously beat for a person’s entire lifespan. So clearly if your heart stops so do you! The human heart beats approximately 80,000 to 100,000 a day and pumps almost 2,000 gallons of blood. This means that in a person’s life lasting 70 to 90 years, the heart beats approximately two to three billion times and pumps 50 to 65 million gallons of blood. Those are quite some stats!
So what can you do to ensure you look after your heart? Listed below are a few brief pointers to get you started:
- Stop smoking – if you are a smoker you are twice as likely to have a heart attack
- Reduce salt intake – many of today’s convenience foods contain added salts. So try to avoid crisps, processed ready meals, peanuts, pork pies, pizzas etc. Essentially if it’s pre-prpeared and easy it’s likely to have added salt. try to get into the habit of reading food lables
- Monitor your alcohol. Too much alcohol can damage the heart muscle, increase blood pressure and also lead to weight gain.
- Get your blood pressure and cholesterol levels checked by your GP.
- Make sure you can recognise the early signs of coronary heart disease . Tightness or discomfort in the chest, neck, arm or stomach which comes on when you exert yourself but goes away with rest may be the first sign of angina, which can lead to a heart attack if left untreated.
- Get Active and Manage your weight – The heart is a muscle and it needs exercise to keep fit so that it can pump blood efficiently round your body with each heart beat. You should aim for 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise a day. Carrying a lot of extra weight as fat can greatly affect your health and increases the risk of life-threatening conditions such as coronary heart disease and diabetes.
Here at Transform Personal Training, we always want to help people get the most out of their lives. We passionately believe that exercising regularly and routinely brings so much to your life in terms of more energy, greater alertness and better productivity. We also appreciate that modern day lifestyle can often lead to great demands on your time. Through our free 1 hour consultation you can talk about your lifestyle and exercise and work out a plan that helps you build exercise regularly into your routine. So be good to your heart start exercising with HAVIT now, take advantage of our great promotional offers….