As good as it may taste, and even in times when it may “feel” like your friend, comforting you because of the beta-endorphin that rushes in your brain, it is sadly time to accept that sugar is NOT our friend…
Let’s explain – regular consumption of sugary foods may just be one of the worst things that you can do for your and your children’s health.
Surprisingly our sugar consumption grows considerably every year! Based on American study, from 1700 to 2012 the sugar consumption increased from 4 pounds of sugar per person per year to 1/2 pound of sugar per person PER DAY. That is whooping 180 pounds of sugar per person – per year; and the UK is not far behind…
• High Fructose Corn Syrup
Is the most commonly consumed form of sugar (by children especially). HFCS is highly addictive and contains fructose and glucose. The body digests the fructose immediately, going straight to the liver, that turns it into fat – contributing to weight gain. Fructose also supports the ‘hunger hormone’ (ghrelin) while does not stimulate the ‘satisfaction hormone’ (leptin), resulting in overeating.
Excess intake of any processed sugars can result in weakened immune system, due to decrease of white blood cells’ ability to destroy bacteria, and it also contributes to obesity, and diabetes.
Let’s remember that sugar is highly addictive!
It has been proven that the sweet taste of sugar is more rewarding than the high of cocaine. Sugar produces dopamine (happy / feel-good chemical) into the brain, making people becoming addicted to eating sugar.
This is where it is good to focus on long term achievements rather than short term satisfactions of the senses. Whether it is a weight loss goal or an overall state of health – focus on those goals that are beneficial to you in a long run although it may require more dedication.
Here is some extra motivation – have you heard of cases when cancer patients cured themselves by following clean, low sugar raw diet? This is probably not a coincidence, it is because cancer feeds on sugar. Read more here…
Don’t sweat it! This is not the end of the world. There ARE safe & just as sweet types of “sugars”! We recommend 100% organic green stevia, xylitol, raw honey, pure maple syrup, molasses, and coconut nectar / sugar.
Yes, nowadays it is impossible to cut out sugar completely but you CAN take control of your sugar intake so that it does not take control over you and your health!
Breaking down the sugars
The NO-NO sugars:
• Glucose (Dextrose), Galactose and Fructose
• Sucrose (“table sugar”)
• Refined White Sugar (pure sucrose) should be considered an “industrial product” rather than “food.”
• Brown Sugar is white sugar mixed with molasses.
• Raw Sugar is not really raw. It has been cooked, is a little better than refined white sugar.
• Agave Nectar is made from the agave plant, which is a cactus. But agave is HIGHLY processed and is approximately 80% fructose (much higher than honey and maple syrup).
• HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) is 55% fructose and 45% glucose. It is mostly genetically modified. Stay away!
The GO-for sugars:
• Coconut sugar is made from the sweet watery sap that drips from the cut flower buds of the coconut palm. It has a low glycemic index (GI) and is rich in amino acids.
• Xylitol is a sweetener extracted from corn or birch cellulose. It is slowly absorbed, does not cause a rapid blood sugar increase, and does not require an immediate insulin response from the body to be metabolised.
• Honey is approximately 50% fructose, but in natural (raw and unpasteurised).
• Stevia is an extremely sweet herb, which is completely safe (in its natural form). 100% organic green stevia in its natural state is what you want.
If you live inBrighton & Hove – you are lucky as all these GO-for sugars are easily available to you at the Infinity Foods shop in the lanes (25 North Rd, Brighton BN1 1YA, UK). You can also order most of these via Amazon or find them in other health foods stores all over the UK.