We know HOW to avoid sugar rush & crush and weight gain followed by a nasty cold or teeth problems this year!
1. Keep your bite healthy!
Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste and floss! Don’t go batty for sugary treats.
2. Sleep tight!
Don’t look a fright this Halloween! Insufficient sleep is associated with a number of long-lasting diseases and conditions. Adults should get 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night.
3. Treat yourself to Halloween fruits and veggies!
Don’t fill up on junk this Halloween. Treat yourself to yummy fruits and vegetables. They make a great healthy snack to serve for Halloween parties.
4. And of course – Drink plenty of water!
Water will suppress your sugar cravings and will help to wash all the toxins away from your body.
5. Ditch all the sugar loaded Halloween treats…
And surprise your family and friends with these amazing but most of all HEALTHY halloween treats!
Frozen “Boo”-nana Pops
1 medium banana
1/2 cup good vegan white chocolate
1/2 cup natural yogurt (at room temperature!)
8 mini chocolate chips for eyes
4 popsicle sticks
1. Cut banana in half lengthwise, then in half to make four quarters.
2. Insert popsicle sticks into bananas, and freeze bananas on a baking paper lined sheet.
3. When the bananas are frozen, fill a coffee mug with chocolate. Melt chocolate in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring until the chocolate is melted and soft.
4. Add the yogurt into the chocolate mixing well, making sure the ingredients combine very well to create a smooth mixture.
5. Dip the bananas one at a time into the chocolate mixture, scraping off the excess chocolate from the back of the banana, and place it on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Quickly add the chocolate chips for the eyes.
6. Return your pops into the freezer until frozen and ready to eat. Eat frozen.
Cheese Witch’s Brooms
12 Slices of Cheese, Pretzel sticks and Fresh Chive
1. Fold each cheese slice and cut the fringes of the broom using a pair of scissors.
2. Roll the slice of cheese around a snack stick having the fringes looking down.
3. Finally to keep the cheese around the stick, use some chive and knot it around.
Healthy Halloween Pasta Salad
1 box whole wheat penne pasta (or gluten free pasta)
1 cup shredded carrots
Natural purple food colouring (or red + blue)
1 cucumber, sliced
1/2 head of broccoli, chopped
1 cup orange cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
Your favourite Italian salad dressing, to taste
1. Boil the pasta as directed on the box until al dente. Drain and run under cold water.
2. Meanwhile, use a knife to cut out jack-o-lantern faces in the cucumber slices. You don’t have to cut all the slices if you’re in a time crunch, just a few to go on top.
3. Add about 1/4 cup water to a large Ziploc bag and squeeze in about 10 drops of purple food colouring. Add pasta to the bag and toss to coat.
4. Let sit a couple minutes, drain, and rinse with cold water.
5. Transfer pasta to a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Toss to coat and refrigerate a couple hours. Add a bit more dressing before serving.